About 20% of the Australian population lives in cyclone prone areas and every year industries' capital investment in the tropics increases. Industries most at risk include some of Australia's most valuable: mining, oil and gas, and energy.
We are the Australian Authority responsible for issuing tropical cyclone forecasts and warnings and a world leader in pioneering tropical cyclone science. We translate that expertise and the latest tropical cyclone research into forecasts and consultancy services that are tailored to your needs, including:
- Forecasts and warnings
- Daily forecasts detailing the likelihood of tropical cyclone development within the next seven days
- Weekly and climate outlooks outlining how the risk of tropical cyclone formation is likely to change
- Detailed site-specific warnings issued every three to six hours during tropical cyclone events
- Expert Advice
- Detailed briefings and decision support from our experts during events
- Facilitated industry-wide debriefings following a tropical cyclone event to enable shared learning across the sector
- Education and training in understanding tropical cyclone hazards and interpreting tropical cyclone products to enable consistent, effective and efficient decision making during events
- Assistance with writing and testing tropical cyclone response plans and managing business risk associated with tropical cyclones
- Tailored tropical cyclone research and scientific solutions
- We will work with you every step on the way from research to operations. The Bureau offers an end-to-end service that optimises each link in the value chain from research and development through to delivery of operational services, response planning and staff training.
- World leading science. Our researchers are global experts in the science of tropical cyclones, which is recognised through our involvement and leadership in the World Meteorological Organization Tropical Cyclone forums.
- Improved safety and efficiency. Direct access to our tropical cyclone forecast and warning centres allows you to make operational decisions with greater certainty, reducing downtime while keeping your personnel safe.
Why partner with the Bureau?