South East Queensland
This line item represents the volume of water held in storages that are used to administer water against entitlements. The volume reported for this line item includes the volume of dead storage. Storages managed by Seqwater have no dead storage due to the installation of pump systems enabling access to the entire stored volume.
The volume reported is the sum of the volumes held in the storages in the South East Queensland (SEQ) region. Specific details of individual storages are provided in the following table.
|Water resource plan (WRP) area||Water supply scheme (WSS)||Storage name||Total storage capacity7
|Dead storage capacity
|30 June 2011
|30 June 2010
|Change in storage
|Gold Coast||Nerang||Advancetown Lake (Hinze Dam)1,6||310,730||0||171,128||156,098||15,030|
|Little Nerang Dam1||6,705||0||5,995||5,237||758|
|Total Gold Coast WRP area||317,435||0||177,123||161,335||15,788|
|Logan Basin||Logan River||Bromelton Off-Stream Storage4||8,210||0||8,114||8,192||–78|
|Cedar Grove Weir4||1,144||0||1,200||1,174||26|
|None||Tingalpa Reservoir (Leslie Harrison Dam)1||24,868||0||24,494||23,519||975|
|Total Logan Basin WRP area||181,424||0||152,596||72,377||80,219|
|Moreton||Central Brisbane River and Stanley River
||Mount Crosby Weir4||3,430||0||3,502||3,458||44|
|Central Lockyer||Lake Clarendon1||24,276||0||24,001||4,788||19,213|
|Lake Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam)1||6,947||0||6,957||2,799||4,158|
|Cressbrook Creek||Lake Cressbrook2||81,842||1,136||79,986||15,032||64,954|
|Lower Lockyer Valley||Lake Atkinson (Atkinson Dam)1||30,400||0||30,444||25,398||5,046|
|Pine Valleys||Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam)1||214,302||0||213,663||207,483||6,180|
|Warrill Valley||Lake Moogerah1||86,290||0||83,023||53,185||29,838|
|Gold Creek Reservoir1||1,436||0||823||785||38|
|Lake Kurwongbah (Sideling Creek Dam)1||14,370||0||13,684||13,018||666|
|Lake Manchester (Cabbage Tree Creek Dam)1||25,951||0||25,216||25,626||–410|
|Splityard Creek Dam3||28,700||6,400||22,300||22,300||0|
|Total Moreton WRP area||2,097,738||11,008||1,890,682||1,863,084||27,598|
|Total SEQ region||2,596,597||11,008||2,220,401||2,096,796||123,605|
- Data obtained from the Bureau of Meteorology's Water storages, Australia Water Resources Information System (AWRIS).
- Data obtained from Toowoomba Regional Council.
- Splityard Creek Dam volume estimated from actual stored volume and relationship to Lake Wivenhoe.
- Data obtained from Seqwater. Mount Crosby Weir data from 21 June 2011 and 5 July 2010, and Wyaralong Dam data from 1 July 2011, as data were not available for the 30 June for either storage. Wyaralong Dam was not available to store water before commissioning on 11 January 2011.
- Beaudesert Weir was not included in the water accounting statements as information was not available on storage volumes.
- Advancetown Lake (Hinze Dam) stage 3 upgrade was completed in late 2011. The project raised the dam wall by approximately 15 metres and increasing storage capacity from 161,073 ML to 310,730 ML.
- Total storage capacity does not include flood mitigation capacity. The volume in storage may be greater than the total storage capacity if the storage was retaining flood waters or spilling at the time of measurement.
Storage volume is measured at the start and end of the 2010–11 year by using gauged water level height(s) in metres Australian Height Datum for individual storages. The height measurement was converted to a volume using the storage-volume curve(s) of the storage.
The storage volumes of individual storages were aggregated to present the total volume for the line item.
Assumptions, Limitations, Caveats and Approximations
Storage-volume (rating) tables are constructed from surveyed parts of the water storage, and may not reflect the storage-volume relationship across the entire storage.
Water storages are subject to sedimentation and other physical changes over time, which affect the accuracy of the storage-volume tables.
The uncertainty estimate was not quantified.
This line item corresponds to line item 1.1 Storages – entitlement system reported in the 2010 Account. There was a prior period error in the 2010 Account.
The following table compares the value at 30 June 2010 reported in the 2011 Account with the corresponding value reported in the 2010 Account for the components of this line item that changed. The total for this line item in the 2010 Account was 2,090,911 ML and the comparative year volume reported in the 2011 Account was 2,096,796 ML.
|2011 Account line item||2010 Account line item||Storage Name||Volume reported in the 2010 Account
|Prior period error correction
|Volume difference due to scope change
|Restated volume reported in the 2011 Account
|1.1 Storages||1.1 Storages - entitlement system||Lake Cressbrook||13,896||1,136||0||15,032||Dead storage not included in 2010 Account storage volume|
|Lake Perseverance||7,285||3,491||0||10,776||Dead storage not included in 2010 Account storage volume and minor change in volume|
|Mount Crosby Weir||2,200||1,258||0||3,458||Estimated storage volume revised due to actual measured data now available|