South East Queensland
32.2 Surface water access entitlement for direct diversion
This line item consists of three different types of entitlements:
- water licence diversions for stock and domestic use
- unsupplemented surface water licences
- riparian access within water supply schemes (WSSs).
The number of stock and domestic water licence can be seen in the following table. Although not a volumetric licence, it is expected that around 2 ML will be diverted for each licence.
|Water resource plan (WRP) area||No of water licences||Estimated diversion
|Total SEQ region||595||1,190|
The volume of unsupplemented surface water licences can be seen in the table below.
|Water resource plan (WRP) area||Nominal volume
|Total SEQ region||31,916|
- In the Logan Basin WRP area there were 466 unsupplemented non-volumetric surface water licences of which 334 were area-based licences.
- In the Gold Coast WRP area there were 285 unsupplemented non-volumetric surface water licences, of which 213 were area-based licences.
- In the Moreton WRP area there were 1,062 unsupplemented non-volumetric surface water licences, of which 781 were area-based licences.
- The nominal volume is defined in Schedule 4 of the Water Act 2000 (Qld) as the number used to calculate the entitlement holder's share of the water available to be take by holders of entitlements in all entitlement groups in the water resource plan area.
The volume associated with riparian entitlement within WSSs could not be quantified for the 2011 Account.
Data on water licences for stock and domestic use and unsupplemented surface water licences was obtained from the DERM Water Management System database and from the Gold Coast and Logan Basin Water Resource Account 2010–11.
Assumptions, Limitations, Caveats and Approximations
The assumed diversion rate of 2 ML per property may not be appropriate for all users and adds uncertainty to the estimated volume of the entitlement.
The uncertainty estimate was not quantified.
This line item was reported in the 2010 Account as R1.2 Water access entitlement – unregulated flows reported in the Water rights, entitlements, allocations and trade note with a volume of 41,227 ML.