17.17 Decrease of inter-region surface water claim on water
The line item applies only to the Southern Basin of the Murray–Darling Basin (MDB) region. The volumetric value for the line item for the 2011–12 year was 625,000 ML. The value represents decreases to the required annual release (RAR) by Snowy Hydro Limited (Snowy Hydro). More details about RAR are available in Line item 1.5 Inter-region claim on water. Decreases to the RAR include:
- relaxation volume reduction (due to irrigators entitlements reaching full allocations and fullness of downstream storages
- the volume reserved as directed by the New South Wales Office of Water under clause 13.2 of Snowy Water Licence to facilitate a potential inter-valley transfer
- the allocated volume for the drought account.
The following table provides information on the decrease of claims against Snowy Hydro from 01 July 2011–30 June 2012 and related to the Snowy Water Year of 01 May 2012–30 April 2013.
Volume (ML) for the 2011–12 year
Tumut River (ML)
Murray River (ML)
|Repayment of water deals||0||0||0|
|Reduction in RAR for Snowy River deals (Mowamba)||0||0||0|
|Snowy Water Licence–reduction agreed between parties for the 2011–12 year||0||0||0|
|Relaxation volume reduction (due to irrigators entitlements reaching full allocations and fullness of downstream storages)||
|Reserved as directed by the New South Wales Office of Water under clause 13.2 of Snowy Water Licence to facilitate a potential inter-valley transfer||
|Allocated for the drought account||
|Decrease of claims against Snowy Hydro||304,000||321,000||625,000|
Events that increase the claims against Snowy Hydro are shown under line item 9.15 Increase of inter-region claim on water.
Bureau of Meteorology (the Bureau), NSW Office of Water and Snowy Hydro.
- Snowy Hydro required annual release at the beginning of the Snowy Water Year (1 May) is based on the calculations in the Snowy Water Licence.
- Quantification method was not available for the water audit monitoring data received for this line item.
Assumptions, limitations, caveats and approximations
Snowy Hydro Claim: numbers were estimated at the commencement of the water year, and subject to revision and confirmation at the end of the year.
This line item corresponds to line item 17.17 'Decrease of inter-region claim on water' reported in the 2011 Account.