22.2 Groundwater allocation announcements – urban system
The volumetric value for the line item for the 2011–12 year was 25,993 ML. The line item represents groundwater allocation announcements for urban water systems in the Murray–Darling Basin (MDB) region. The following table provides detailed volumetric information for the line item.
|Groundwater resource plan area||Groundwater sustainable diversion limit (SDL) area||State||Entitlement class||Volume (ML) for the 2011–12 year|
|GW18 New South Wales Border Rivers Alluvium||GS32||NSW Border Rivers Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||10|
|GS33||NSW Border Rivers Tributary Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||35|
|GW17 New England Fractured Rock and Northern Basalts||GS18||Inverell Basalt||NSW||Local water utility||0|
|GS37||New England Fold Belt||NSW||Local water utility||559|
|GW16 Eastern Porous Rock||GS17||Gunnedah–Oxley Basin||NSW||Local water utility||420|
|GW15 Gwydir Alluvium||GS24||Lower Gwydir Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||3,572|
|GW14 Namoi Alluvium||GS29||Lower Namoi Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||4,407|
|GS40||Peel Valley Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility, and domestic and stock (town water supply)||734|
|GS47||Upper Namoi Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||6,280|
|GW12 Macquarie–Castlereagh Alluvium||GS26||Lower Macquarie Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||3,090|
|Sub-total Northern Basin||19,107|
|GW 11 Lachlan and South Western Fractured Rock||GS 20||Lachlan Fold Belt||NSW||Local water utility||1,967|
|GS39||Orange Basalt||NSW||Local water utility||79|
|GS51||Young Granite||NSW||Local water utility||16|
|GW10 Lachlan Alluvium||GS25||Lower Lachlan Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||2,322|
|Aquifer – town water supply||2|
|GW9 Murrumbidgee Alluvium||GS28||Lower Murrumbidgee Alluvium (shallow; Shepparton formation and deep; Calivil formation and Renmark Group)||NSW||Local water utility||2,210|
|Aquifer – town water supply||20|
|GW8 Murray Alluvium||GS27||Lower Murray Alluvium (shallow; Shepparton formation and deep; Renmark Group and Calivil formation)||NSW||Local water utility||12|
|Aquifer – town water supply||67|
|GS46||Upper Murray Alluvium||NSW||Local water utility||99|
|Aquifer – town water supply||92|
|Sub-total Southern Basin||6,886|
|Total for the region||25,993|
SDL areas other than included in the tables may have values relevant to the line item, however, relevant information was not available for the 2012 Account.
Allocations may be made for urban, stock and domestic or irrigation purposes under a single class of licence in the particular water resource plan area. Where the purpose was not known, and it was a general class of licence, the groundwater allocation announcement has been included in line item 22.1 'Groundwater allocation announcements' under 'Aquifer' entitlement class.
GS 32 NSW Border Rivers Alluvium includes both upstream Keetah Bridge and downstream Keetah Bridge alluvial groundwater sources.
GS 33 NSW Border Rivers Tributary Alluvium includes Macintyre and Ottleys Creek alluvial groundwater sources.
Volumes reported here under GS47 Upper Namoi Alluvium are sourced from the following groundwater sources:
- Upper Namoi zone 1 Borambil creek
- Upper Namoi zone 2 Cox'S Creek (Mullaley to Boggabri)
- Upper Namoi zone 3 Mooki Valley (Breeza to Gunnedah)
- Upper Namoi zone 4 Namoi valley (Keepit Reservoir to Gin's Leap)
- Upper Namoi zone 5 Namoi Valley (Gin's Leap to Narrabri)
- Upper Namoi zone 6 Tributaries of the Liverpool Range (South to Pine Road)
- Upper Namoi zone 7 Yarraman Creek (east of Lake Goran to Mooki River)
- Upper Namoi zone 8 Mooki Valley (Quirindi–Pine Road to Breeza)
- Upper Namoi zone 9 Cox's Creek (up-stream Mullaley)
- Upper Namoi zone 10 Warrah Creek
- Upper Namoi zone 11 Maules Creek
- Upper Namoi zone 12 Kelvin Valley.
Water sharing plans were yet to commence or data were unavailable for the groundwater SDL areas listed in the following table.
|State||SDL area code||Groundwater SDL area|
|Qld||GS56||Queensland MDB: Deep|
|Qld||GS60||Sediments above the Great Artesian Basin: Warrego–Paroo–Nebine|
|Qld||GS63||St George Alluvium: Warrego–Paroo–Nebine|
|Qld||GS53||Condamine Fractured Rock|
|Qld||GS58||Sediments above the Great Artesian Basin: Condamine–Balonne|
|Qld||GS61||St George Alluvium: Condamine–Balonne (shallow and deep)|
|Qld||GS65||Upper Condamine Basalts1|
|Qld||GS64||Upper Condamine Alluvium (Central Condamine Alluvium and Tributaries)1|
|Qld||GS59||Sediments above the Great Artesian Basin: Moonie|
|Qld||GS62||St George Alluvium: Moonie|
|Qld||GS54||Queensland Border Rivers Alluvium|
|Qld||GS55||Queensland Border Rivers Fractured Rock|
|Qld||GS57||Sediments above the Great Artesian Basin: Border Rivers|
|NSW||GS43||Upper Gwydir Alluvium|
|NSW||GS48||Upper Namoi Tributary Alluvium|
|NSW||GS11||Bell Valley Alluvium|
|NSW||GS45||Upper Macquarie Alluvium|
|NSW||GS44||Upper Lachlan Alluvium|
|NSW||GS21||Lake George Alluvium|
|NSW||GS13||Billabong Creek Alluvium|
|NSW||GS42||Upper Darling Alluvium|
|SA||GS2||Eastern Mount Lofty Ranges|
|SA||GS7||SA Murray salt interception schemes|
|ACT||GS52||Australian Capital Territory (groundwater)|
New South Wales Office of Water: water access licence statistics.
Bureau of Meteorology (the Bureau).
Assumptions, limitations, caveats and approximations
- The calculation of water made available may be affected by licences that have been cancelled or created part way through the 2011–12 year.
- Information for New South Wales is based on data available in New South Wales Office of Water's water access licence statistics at the data collection stage. It is possible that changes if any from subsequent update to that data base have not been included in this line item.
- The New South Wales Government does not guarantee that data are current nor does it guarantee that the data or the data capturing processes are free from corruption or error. Data provided are preliminary and New South Wales Office of Water's quality assurance procedures may be incomplete. The New South Wales Office of Water cannot warrant and does not represent that the material that appears on its website or any linked websites is complete, current, reliable and/or free from error.
This line item corresponds to line item 22.2 'Groundwater allocation announcements – urban system' reported in the 2011 Account.