3.7 Urban claim on surface water
The volume recognised in the water accounting statements (0 ML) represents the allocation remaining for the following bulk entitlements held by urban water utilities in the Melbourne region:
- Yarra River – Melbourne Water for City West Water
- Yarra River – Melbourne Water for South East Water
- Yarra River – Melbourne Water for Yarra Valley Water
- Silver and Wallaby creeks – Melbourne Water for City West Water
- Silver and Wallaby creeks – Melbourne Water for South East Water
- Silver and Wallaby creeks – Melbourne Water for Yarra Valley Water
- Tarago and Bunyip rivers – Melbourne Water for City West Water
- Tarago and Bunyip rivers – Melbourne Water for South East Water
- Tarago and Bunyip rivers – Melbourne Water for Yarra Valley Water
- Yarra River (Melbourne Headworks System) – Western Water.
A volumetric upper limit is specified for each of these bulk entitlements; however, formal annual allocations are not made. Carry-over of allocations is also not permitted for these bulk entitlements; therefore, the volume reported as the opening and closing balance of the allocation remaining was zero
The volumetric limit on these bulk entitlements is as follows:
- 555,000 ML from the Thomson, Yarra, and Goulburn catchments, for bulk entitlements held by Yarra Valley Water, City West Water and South East Water. Thomson and Goulbourn bulk entitlements are not reported here as they are outside the Melbourne region (for more information refer to line item 1.5 Inter-region claim on water).
- 30,510 ML from the Bunyip catchment
- 11,250 ML from the Yarra catchment, for the bulk entitlement held by Western Water.
For further information on these bulk entitlements refer to the Victorian water register website.
The opening and closing balance for these bulk entitlements, increases in the allocated volume and decreases due to allocation diversions are provided in the following table.
|Opening balance (1 July 2010)||0|
|Closing balance (30 June 2011)||0|
 As no formal annual allocations are made for the bulk entitlements, the volume allocated in the 2010–11 year was equivalent to the diversion volume.