Thursday, 1 December 2016 - Seasonal Climate Summary for Brisbane - Product code IDCKGC24L0
Brisbane in spring 2016: Warm days and nights; average rainfall
Spring rainfall was near the long-term average at most locations. Daytime temperatures were warmer than usual, with particularly hot days at the end of spring. Overnight temperatures were slightly above average for the season.
Average rainfall at most locations
- Spring rainfall was near-average at most locations, but below average at Archerfield and Brisbane city
- There were a number of rain-bearing systems at the start of spring, followed by average rainfall in October, and a relatively dry November
- A number of thunderstorms produced moderate falls during the season, including the highest daily rainfall of 97 mm recorded at Brisbane Airport on 26 November
Warm days overall; nights slightly warmer than usual
- Cool daytime temperatures in Brisbane during September and October, with warm spring days overall
- The hottest day occurred at the end of the season, with 38.2 °C reported at Amberley on 24 November
- Particularly warm nights in Brisbane during September, followed by cool October nights resulting in warm spring nights overall
- The coldest night occurred at the start of spring, with the temperature dropping to 4.7 °C at Amberley on 2 October. Much warmer nights occurred at the end of spring, reaching 23.8 °C at Redcliffe on 12 November
- A line of severe thunderstorms formed over the Brisbane area on 13 November, producing a maximum wind gust of 157 km/h at the Brisbane Airport. Damage occurred to shipping containers and equipment at the Brisbane Airport.
|Extremes in spring 2016|
|Hottest day||38.2 °C at Amberley AMO on 24 Nov|
|Warmest days on average||28.4 °C at Amberley AMO|
|Coolest days on average||25.8 °C at Brisbane Aero|
|Coldest day||19.7 °C at Amberley AMO on 21 Sep|
|Coldest night||4.7 °C at Amberley AMO on 2 Oct|
|Coolest nights on average||12.8 °C at Amberley AMO|
|Warmest nights on average||17.1 °C at Redcliffe|
|Warmest night||23.8 °C at Redcliffe on 12 Nov|
|Warmest on average overall||22.0 °C at Brisbane|
|Coolest on average overall||20.6 °C at Amberley AMO|
|Wettest overall||271.6 mm at Brisbane Aero|
|Driest overall||97.8 mm at Archerfield Airport|
|Wettest day||97.0 mm at Brisbane Aero on 26 Nov|
|Strongest wind gust||157 km/h at Brisbane Aero on 13 Nov|
|Summary statistics for spring 2016|
|Amberley AMO||28.4||+0.8||38.2||24 Nov||12.8||-0.2||4.7||2 Oct||183.8||188.0||average||98%|
|Archerfield Airport||28.0||+1.1||36.4||13 Nov||15.1||+0.9||6.6||2 Oct||97.8||211.7||low||46%|
|Brisbane||27.4||+0.5||36.0||13 Nov||16.6||+0.3||10.4||28 Sep||108.8||200.6||low||54%|
|Brisbane Aero||25.8||+0.3||33.6||24 Nov||15.9||+0.3||10.2||20 Sep||271.6||202.0||high||134%|
|Logan City Water Treatment Plant||27.2||+0.7||36.8||13 Nov||9.2||1 Oct||184.1||209.2||average||88%|
|Redcliffe||25.9||+0.4||30.8||13 Nov||17.1||+0.2||11.4||1 Oct||180.8||215.8||average||84%|
The Seasonal climate summary lists the main features of the weather in Brisbane using the most timely and accurate information available on the date of publication; it will generally not be updated. Later information, including data that has had greater opportunity for quality control, will be presented in the Monthly Weather Review.
A climate summary is generally published on the first working day of each month.
This statement has been prepared based on information available at 9 am on Thursday 1 December 2016. Some checks have been made on the data, but it is possible that results will change as new information becomes available.
Averages for individual sites are long-term means based on
observations from all available years of record, which vary widely from
site to site. They are not shown for sites with less than 10 years of
record, as they cannot then be calculated reliably.
The median is sometimes more representative than the mean of long-term average rain.
The Rank indicates how rainfall this time compares with the
climate record for the site, based on the decile
ranking (very low rainfall is in decile 1, low in
decile 2 or 3, average in decile 4 to 7, high in decile
8 or 9 and very high is in decile 10).
The Fraction of average shows how much rain has fallen this time as a percentage of the long-term mean.
The ACORN-SAT dataset is used for temperature area averages.