Recent and past conditions
High resolution maps and data, ranging from the most recent day, back to 1900 for rainfall and 1910 for temperature.
Grids can be downloaded for many of the map selections. In each map page, links to grids and archives are located above the maps, on the right hand side. Below the page titles, 'About this map' links provide details about each dataset.
Recent and historical maps and grids
The links on this page provide gridded datasets for rainfall, temperature, vapour pressure and solar exposure, over time periods ranging from daily, weekly, monthly to 3-yearly.
- Australian rainfall starting in the year 1900, available in spatial scales down to 0.05° resolution for daily data and down to 0.01° resolution for monthly analysis.
- Map types include Rainfall Totals, Percentages, Deciles, Drought, Anomalies, 1 Year Difference, 2 Year Difference, 3 Year Difference.
- Australian temperature starting in the year 1910, available in spatial scales down to 0.05° resolution for daily or monthly time scales.
- Map types include Mean Maximum, Mean Minimum, Maximum Anomaly, Highest Maximum, Highest Minimum, Lowest Maximum, Lowest Minimum, Mean Temperature, Mean Anomaly, Maximum Decile, Minimum Decile, Mean Decile, 9am - 3pm Maximum.
Vapour pressure, Solar exposure and Normalised Difference Vegetation Index
- Also available is vapour pressure (1971–present) and solar exposure (1990–present) at 0.05° resolution for daily or monthly time scales.
- Vapour Pressure maps include 9am Vapour Pressure, 3pm Vapour Pressure, 9am Vapour Pressure Anomaly, 3pm Vapour Pressure Anomaly.
- Solar Exposure maps include Solar Exposure.
Australian Gridded Climate Data (AGCD)
The AGCD system is used to improve the spatial representation of Australian rainfall and drought as part of the 'Enhanced weather information for farm drought resilience in NSW' initiative.
The project was supported by New South Wales (NSW) government under the 2015 Drought Strategy, administered through the NSW Rural Assistance Authority (RAA) .
Monthly rainfall data is the first AGCD dataset to be published. Further details: About AGCD monthly rainfall data
Science underpinning the AGCD gridded analyses: Evans et al, 2020.
Australian Water Availability Project (AWAP)
The system used to produce the remaining information was developed under the Australian Water Availability Project.
This project was part supported by the National Heritage Trust with partners in the Bureau of Rural Sciences and CSIRO.
AWAP monthly rainfall gridded data will continue to be available for a transition period.
Science underpinning the AWAP gridded analyses: Jones et al, 2009.